Friday, May 9, 2008

Ads steal my money

Do you find that you spend less if you limit your TV time? I used to watch lots of TV and the commercials made me want things. I need eye cream! I need crab legs! I need diamonds!

Except for watching a few favorite shows, I now mostly spend my evening down-time blogging. There are ads on websites, of course, but I don’t notice them in the same way. I bet that TiVo has a similar effect, but I don’t have it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

TV itself can be a money pit. Cable, pay-per-views, TiVo...

EcoGeoFemme said...

So true! I don't have any of that, just the regular free stations. Today I signed up for a tv converter box coupon, since I have no intention of buying a new tv when the signal goes digital next year.

Amanda said...

All that is very true. I find that I always want more after watching TV. I'm trying to watch less TV now. Then when I do watch TV, I'm trying to do something else during the commercials.

lindsay said...

I usually mute the commericals. They're loud and annoying, plus a lot of them just get replayed over and over again.

Unbalanced Reaction said...

I agree! My DVR has really helped me save...but not on retail: on eating out! Without seeing those damn "I want my baby back, baby back" commercials I really have cut down my cravings for eating out!

chall said...

hulu.com

tv shows without ads... and you can still watch fun shows. and it is all legal :)

I love dvd series myself. Makes it easier to keep focus from ads and since I have the attention span of a 4yrs old the average time span of 40 mins is enough to keep me still. Then I have to do something.