Saturday, April 12, 2008

Cheap Eats

Hi Everyone! k8 at Harmonia's Necklace was nice enough to give me a head's up to this conversation going on at the Chronicle of Higher Education on economical eating and grocery shopping.

Check it out here.

4 comments:

Kiki BE said...

Thanks for posting this. I definitely need to work on this area. I spend way too much on food and eating out because of lack of planning.

EcoGeoFemme said...

I just read the discussion and thought it was really good. Many of the commentors say they have a list of cheap meals. I'd love to know what other people make for cheap dinners. I found this chili recipe that's cheap and good, but makes a big pot (we have to want to eat it all week) and I've found lentils cost almost nothing.
*soak dry lentils in water overnight.
*drain then simmer in water or broth.
*in another pan, sautee chopped garlic and onion in olive oil. Add canned diced tomoatoes, chopped carrot, curry powder, turmeric, nutmeg.
*When the lentils are almost soft, combine with the tomoato mixture and let simmer for 5-10 min.
*Yum

EcoGeoFemme said...

This is a pretty good article about saving on groceries.

hypatia said...

Let's see... cheap eats include (for me)
- backwards dinners (waffles or pancakes for dinner with either yogurt & fruit or peanut butter & syrup as toppings).
- chili & cornbread (Cooking light has an all veg. chili that is pretty cheap to make).
- blackbean relish (can black beans, can tomato, chopped onion, some garlic, spices as you like - sits over night). Serve on top of greens for salad, with chicken as a side, or eat with chips
- quesadillas